Sunday 24 February 2013

Durham Cathedral Exterior Lighting

As I mentioned in my last blog,  I was going up to Durham for the official switch on of the cathedral floodlighting. I am so glad I was able to attend. Firstly I was able to spend some time talking to two of the designers - Steve Edwards and Dave Williams, both work for Anthony Stainton (who sadly could not be there)  Steve went through some of the design processes and the different types of LED "floodlights" that were used. How they did test runs trying out different floodlight combinations. Something like this, is the meld of knowledge, experience, software modelling and art. They even had infill floodlights to lesson the shadow effects. A lot of care, skill and expertise has gone into this project.  Dave  explained that the scheme uses 70% less energy than the old scheme. So I am delighted that the ILP was involved in the original competition brief and that ILP lighting Professionals were involved in this stunning, winning design.

I learnt that the Cathedral and Castle form a World Heritage Site, and that the co-ordinator of the site used to look after the pyramids.

After the speeches was the switch on. I had the privilege of being in the company of Richard Frost and Roger Elphick. Roger is immensly proud of this scheme and rightly so.
 The first picture was taken by the ILP Chief Executive of me with the cathedral and castle framed behind. The second picture I took of the cathedral just after the official switch on.


This week, I will be meeting the Vice Presidents and having a full day, going through their Key performance Indicators and reviewing how they think things are going. Lots to discuss!

Have a good week. Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment