Sunday 17 February 2013

Travel and Railway Stations

Today (Sunday 17th February) has been a a glorious early spring day (at least where I live). Clear sky, sunshine, light winds and it feels warm!  Nothing like a bit of sunshine to lift the spirit. I know that those who are endure  Seasonal Affective Disorder will really appreciate such a day. It is also good for me to get Vitimam E via the sunlight.

Trix and I travelled up to Scotland on Friday by train. Long trip, but I had plenty to read. Although I do feel a bit sorry for the Chief Executive, his train broke down and as we happened to be the following train, a rescue mission was mounted at Berwick on Tweed and  he and his good lady joined us on our train. We finally got to Airth Castle and had a great evening with the Scottish Region. Chairman Bobby Borland had organised an excellent spring dinner and ball and I think everbody enjoyed the food, music and especially the good company. It was great to see Past President Rory Cameron in good form. It had been a good day for him, as he had become a gGrandfather (again).

On the way home, we had a bit of time between trains at Edinburgh, so was able to have a walk around that beautiful city and take in the sights. They have been doing a lot of work at Edinburgh Waverly station. It should look really good when finished. We also spent half an hour at York Railway Station. I do find the engineering at railway stations fascinating. York station is a long curve and has some stuuning cast pillars that support the main canopy. As I am on about railway stations, Kings Cross is the one I see most. I have got used to the revised layout and can enjoy looking at the roof and lighting, rather than trying to figure out where I am within the station. We take travel for granted, expect within 24 hours to be on the opposite side of the globe. A bit like lighting. Everybody expects it and takes it for granted until it does not work or is switched off.

Having talked about trains, I have taken a picture of a watercolour I did of a steam locomotive pulling freight , working hard up a gradient in winter.



I am keeping busy with day job and the ILP. Things are coming together nicely for the Charles Marques Memorial Lecture and I hope the ILP  can soon confirm who the speaker is. I am quite excited about the CMML, but must be patient and wait until all in place -  watch this space and the website for an announcement. I am also looking forward to going to Durham this week to see the official switch on of the cathedral's new exterior lighting scheme. Well done to those members of the ILP who have been involved in the cathedral lighting. More about that next week. I will be taking my camera, so I hope to get a few night time shots, one of which I hope will be good enough to be in my blog.

Have agood week  - Pete


No comments:

Post a Comment