Monday 11 February 2013

Getting on with it!

Last week was interesting. I succumbed to a cold and am just about over it. Weather continues to be variable, from freezing rain, to snow and back again. I have been pushing hard to get trimming of trees done in the garden before they start to leaf. When Trix and I moved last March we inherited an overgrown garden, with a number of unpruned plum trees, stinging nettles and brambles. It is great to have a little more daylight.
I have a chain saw, which I have learnt to keep oiled, adjust the chain, sharpen the cutting blades and mix two stroke petrol. Exciting stuff, although the newly pruned trees have left a lot of material, that I can use for logs, recycle or burn. So gardening at the right time of year is critical.

Yesterday evening I drove to Peterborough to attend our evening chuch meeting, and the journay takes me   past a parish church in nearby Great Gidding. I always enjoy driving by it at night, as it is floodlit, and has a six sided tower, with narrow beam floodlights uplighting alternate faces of the tower. The church stood there as a beacon of light, with the swirling snow picked out by the spill light. It was eerie and beautiful. I was not able to take a picture, but a great memory.

Photograph for this week is not one of mine, but provided by Allan Howard during a visit to The Light Show at the Hayward Gallery London. Worth a visit, as the lighting is stunning.




Last week was Regional Officers at Rugby and it was good to meet with the Honorable Secretaries and Vice Chairs of the Regions. Lots of issues were talked through and hopefully some clarification on a number of practical issues, which will be fed back via the Secretaries

I will be thanking the Regions for all the good work that they do at their AGM's, but wanted to take the opportunity now to thank those Vice Chairs, who are busy preparing for their years, working with the committees, planning events, working out budget against venue and all the hard work that has to be done. I wish all the Regional Vice Chairs the very best, during their preparation and in coming year as Regional Chairs.

Trix and I are looking forward to going up to Scotland this Friday to the Scottish Spring Dinner Dance at Airth Castle. I hope you all have a good week, safe journeys and get to see some great lighting. Pete



No comments:

Post a Comment