Saturday 24 November 2012

Surviving the weather

Saturday 23rd November. In amongst the heavy rain and localised flooding, the sky cleared last night and this morning the fields and hedge rows are covered in frost. I know in about two hours time that there is heavy rain and 60mph gusts coming in from the south. We are certainly experiencing a huge diversity of weather. I watched the documentary on the recent hurricane/super storm Sandy and the devastation. All the precuations the infrastructure companies took and still the weather just overpowered them. I felt sorry for the folks who had to get the utilities back on and working. People were back to torches and the good old candle for light. I am very proud that whilst what we do in terms of lighting may be taken for granted, people miss it when it is not there. I know that good lighting can either be a statement or is so subtil it is not noticed until it goes out. Both are valid, and I go back to what I said some years ago - I am proud to be a lighting professional.
Talking about coping with difficult weather conditions, I am always amazed at how well some creatures cope with the weather.  The picture is a spiders web, has to deal with all stresses and strains, sometimes the web gets broken and the spider gets out there and fixes it. I took this picture on a coast walk in Corwall after a heavy night of rains, which the spider and web survived! Enjoy

 
It has been a busy week, I went to Seeing is Believing at Bruntingthorpe Airfield. I was particularly impressed with a trenching system, that cut a 100mm wide trench to required depth, and "sucked" all the material into the lorry hopper for re-use as recycled material. The speed of the machine was staggering. New technologies like this certainly help with the vital infrastructure our highway lighting needs. Met lots of people and learnt a bit more about lighting and highway signs. A good day.  Next week I am going to a technical discussion forum on SP ratios. Survive the weather. Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment