Saturday 1 December 2012

Buzz Lightyear!

In the past I mentioned on this blog that I live in the country. This is relatively recent, as we moved in March 2012. One of the things that I did not fully appreciate, is that the country back roads and lanes are not grtted. So I am driving on roads, with no salt and areas where sheets of ice have formed from the water still flowing off the saturated fields. An interesting mix. I have a front wheel drive car, so not too bad, just allow more time and drive slower. My wife Trix, drives a skittish rear wheel drive mazda and she is having some interesting moments as the back end flicks out. We both are learning the rythms of country living. Glorious sunsets in the summer and  walks down leafy lanes, but in the winter, cold and dark. I miss the the street lights. I guess we all have to come to terms with where and how we live. Many of us take street lighting for granted, but we don't always appreciate how amazing it is to have something, until we don't have it. I am glad I am able to still be in a position to provide lighting were it is needed.

One of my nicknames at work is Buzz. This came about because there were two Pete's in the office and as I was always buzzing about, I got called Buzz. We are talking 25 years ago. So when I got involved with lighting and Buzz Lightyear came along, it seemed quite appropriate. I say all this because when I was diving in a quarry near Leicester - called Stoney Cove, I came across this. These lighting guys get everywhere!!


It has been a busy week. The ILP hosted a technical discussion forum between Industry Partners and lighting professionals on S/P ratios. Those of you that went to the Brighton summit can read Steve Fotios paper on this subject. Steve was at the forum and we had a most intersting time. We need to do the science to confirm why we do what we do, but translating that into practical ways of designing, and the additional information that the manufacturers would have to provide is not quite so straight forward. You will be able to read about the forum in the lighting journal, when our new editor Jill Entwhistle, has written it up as an article.

I also met with all the other other Institution President's and CEO's at an event hosted by the Engineering Council. We are all keen to encourage "engineers" to go for professional registration. We need to encourage registration at all levels. I think the ILP is working hard on this and our Membership VP - Mark Cooper and his team are  providing the infrastructure to help our members to go for professional registration.

Next week is a little quieter, before Executive Board meeting in two weeks time.

Take care in your travels

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment