Friday 26 October 2012

Inside my brain and motorway lighting

I normally like to start off saturday morning with this blog, but with other commitments, I am writing this tonight.  I have been busy with University City London in being a test subject in their ongoing research into understanding the relationship between light, the eye and the brain. I am excited that this research will continue to add to the scientific knowledge behind the way lighting professionals light. The better our understanding, the better the way we can design lighting schemes. So back to the research. I have been down to The Royal Hollaway  University of London at Egham to spend quality time inside a Magnetic Resonance Image (MRI) Scanner. It is an amazing experience as the scanner clanks away looking at my brain working while I am carrying out a series of visual tasks. The photograph is not one I took, but is a cross section of my brain. I wish the team well in all the calculations and interpreation that has to be done to understand what is going on, especially in my brain!!
I was also a guest of the Highway Electrical association (HEA) at their conference and awards dinner. A well organised event and superb dinner in the spectacular setting of the Celtic Manor Hotel. After the afternoon technical papers, (two presented by ILP past presidents) I took the opportunity to enjoy the view from one of the hotel balcony's. Looking across the river Severn estuary is stunning. Well done to the HEA . Later that night I drove home across the newer of the two Severn crossings, and was inpressed by the quality of lighting and the fantasic engineering of the bridge.
 
Just a quick hobby horse on motorway lighting. I drove the long stretch up the M5 from the M4 towards Birmingham with no lighting, just headlights and being blinded by overbright xenon headlights as other car overtook me. What a joy when I got near to the M42 and some motorway lighting. It is a personal view, but I find driving on lit motorways so much easier and less tiring. Enough said.
 
Next week, the Executive Board will be meeting to discuss a range of issues. This will be the first full meeting for Kevin Grigg - our  New Assistant Honorary Treasurer. He has survived council and an executive board meeting with the Vice Presidents, so we have eased him into the role gently!!
Have a good week
regards
Pete
ps Don't foget Luxlive.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment