Saturday 9 March 2013

ECO Build and Docklands Light Railway

Sometimes, it is good to get ahead of the curve!  So for a change this blog is with you a little earlier than usual. Tuesday I went to Eco Build, to meet with Jess and Chantal on the ILP stand, see the lightscene exhibitors and have a quick look around some of the renewable energy stands. ECO Build is huge. I have never been to the Excel before and never been on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) .

Tuesday was a warm misty day, so good light and seeing the docklands complex, with the sun and mist was quite amazing. I was able to sit right at the front of the train and take in the views, consider the brilliant engineering that went into building the DLR. A very pleasurable experience.  One the way back, I changed stations to catch a train to Bank and back on the Northern Line to Kings Cross. I noticed how strong a reflection was showing on each window as a train pulled into the station, so phone in hand, I took a self portrait of my reflection in the carriage window. Different!

Had a great time at Ecobuild and met the Light Scene Exhibitors, and fielded a number of questions from interested visitors. THe picture below is of the ILP stand and a conversation with Lynn Jones of Sight Designs (Gas lamps) the first  female gas lamp engineer in the world. Well done Lynn. Chantal will shoot me, but if you look to the left of the picture you can see Chantal talking to (I think) Dave Burton


On Wednesday went down to Gloucester on my motorbike to meet with the Midland Region Committee and attend a joint Western/Midland Region Technical Meeting. The standard of Technical meetings remain high and as ever I learnt a lot. Great to see so much good lighting being shared and knowledge being imparted. I also appreciated an opportunity to give the national perspective on a number of issues raised at committee. Also good to see Elizabeth Thomas, your new VP Higways and Infrastructure. I think you will be hearing  a lot from Elizabeth over the coming months!

Next week, I have Executive Board, as usual lots going on, which needs careful consideration by the Board. I will also be representing the ILP at the Lightmongers Annual Dinner. A busy week, but I am enjoying getting around meeting so many people.
Have a good week.  Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment